Playgrounds have been one of the last things to open, because the risk of transmission of the virus is likely to be higher in these areas, given the extent of shared contact.
The government has advised that playgrounds can reopen from 4th July, but only if it is safe to do so.
The government has set out guidance for managing playgrounds and the Parish Council must assess the practical application of these guidelines as some of these are considerably challenging. The Parish Council has a duty of care not only to the public but to our staff.
The decision to delay the opening until 17th July also took into consideration the Parish Council’s wish to protect the school bubbles and their staff. Our local education and childcare facilities have worked hard to create a safe environment for our children. The bubbles do not share outdoor equipment and large play equipment has been closed. Therefore, it was deemed sensible that we should follow their example and reopen the playground for the summer holidays.
To reopen the playground, it will not be possible for Elsenham Parish Council to provide the following elements of the government guidelines. The Parish Council’s insurance company must also agree to our approach.
- Provision of Stewards
- Arrange a booking system
- Clean equipment daily
- Provide cleaning equipment
- Create entrance and exit, as we only have one gate.
Elsenham Parish Council will carry out the following to reopen the playground
- Carry out Risk Assessments including COVID-19 risks
- Carry out safety checks
- Arrange cleaning and repairs where necessary
- Produce signage which will include the following.
Elsenham Playground COVID-19 Signage:
- No entry to the playground if you, or any member of your household, has any symptoms of Covid-19.
- Please respect social distancing measures at all times.
- Only one child on an item of play equipment at any time, unless from the same household.
- Only one swing from a pair to be used at any time, unless from the same household
- Users are advised to clean equipment before use..
- All users are advised to wash or sanitise their hands before and after using equipment..
- Consumption of food and drink is not permitted in the play area.