Elsenham Memorial Garden is located on the corner of Elsenham High Street and Station Road. The memorial is a cross, with names inscribed of the soldiers, sailors and airmen from the village, killed in the First and Second World Wars as well as Northern Ireland, set in a small grassed garden.
The land for a village war memorial was given by Sir Henry Walter Gilbey in 1920, and the memorial was unveiled on 8th October of that year. In 1985 the Parish Council decided to replace the memorial and add the names of those killed in the Second World War.
Marking the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War, Elsenham came together as a community in 2018 to raise funds to buy two Tommy silhouettes. The national commemoration project aimed to educate today’s younger generation, and heal today’s veterans who are suffering from mental health and physical wounds. These ‘Tommies’ are proudly displayed in the Memorial Garden.
The beautifully maintained Memorial Garden is managed by Elsenham Parish Council’s Flower Beds Committee and a group of volunteers. The Flower Beds Committee also look after flower beds throughout the village, including at the railway station, Broom Farm Road, Leigh Drive, Robin Hood Road, and by the village signs on Stansted Road and Henham Road.
If you would like to report a problem or get involved please contact the Parish Council